Group proposes moving World War I memorial from Grant Beach Park following vandalism
By Katie Kull
via the Springfield News-Leader (MO) web site
The World War I memorial may soon be moved from its longtime home in Grant Beach Park following an act of vandalism earlier this year.
The local chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution on Thursday got an endorsement from the Greene County Commission to proceed with an effort to move the one-ton obelisk from the northwest Springfield park to a new home in the Springfield National Cemetery.
J. Howard Fisk, the past president of the Sons of the American Revolution, told members of the Springfield-Greene County Park Board last month they wanted to move the memorial bearing the names of 64 men who died during World War I to a more "ideal" place.
"We're not saying there's anything wrong with Grant Beach Park," he said. "(But the move) is the right thing to do for the right reason."
The proposed location would be near the Rostrum on the opposite side of the Pearl Harbor monument if approved by the federal government.
Fisk said his organization would find a way to pay for the likely costly move.
The memorial has sat in Grant Beach Park since 1924, when it was dedicated on the sixth anniversary of the signing of the Great War's armistice, according to information provided by the Sons of the American Revolution to the park board.
Read the entire article on the Springfield News-Leader web site here:
External Web Site Notice: This page contains information directly presented from an external source. The terms and conditions of this page may not be the same as those of this website. Click here to read the full disclaimer notice for external web sites. Thank you.