This is the only monument in New Haven produced under the city's WPA art program.
Dedicated to Fair Haven resident Timothy Francis Ahearn in 1937. The monument was sculpted by Karl Lang and installed by Maxwell & Pagano.
Ahearn won the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism at Verdun. Although he survived the war, after returning to New Haven, Ahearn was unable to find work, and traveled across the country as a migrant farm worker.
He died in his 20s in California, and his family buried him in St. Lawrence Cemetery, not far from the monument.